Tuesday, April 21, 2015

When I like my body best


I like my body when my creative writer is at home
 and the muse is in bed with him.
She is a glorious, ardent and insatiable lover.
She keeps my body up for whole nights before
she lets it drop for an hour of industrial sleep. 

I don't complain, any more than you would
after a night with your perfect lover
as you watch the stars go to bed over Copacabana,
or the dreaming spires of an Old World City,
or the Mountains of the Moon. 

I have heard some writers moan that their work
involves sweating blood. Maybe so, but when
the creator is home, in the arms of the muse,
what you sweat isn't ordinary blood. It is ichor.

Photo: Garden goddess at Esalen (c) Robert Moss

1 comment:

Peggy Bartlett said...

Thank you Robert for posting your glorious poems. Words are dumb after this or your Mountain poem, (probably explaining the dearth of comments).